Sunday, September 29, 2013

Gold Coast: First Impressions

This morning I got up at 4am after a five-hour sleep and caught a cab to Southern Cross Station, a bus to the airport, a plane to the Gold Coast, a $70 taxi to the rugby field, and now am back at the hotel at 2:22. Our massive inflatable thingy that people throw rugby balls through to win money while we yell at them through the PA system fell down – the wind was fucking with it and it wasn't inflated at a high pressure, so we packed up shop at about one. Here I am now, wondering what to do.

I tried to contact a guy about a gig on the Gold Coast that's going on tomorrow, but he hasn't gotten back to me and I'm not holding out high hopes for my chances of getting up, although maybe if I just bring the whole crew from this job and tell the guy I've brought people he might be lenient. MAYBE. That's the plan from where I stand right now anyway.

What else? It's hot up here. I have to keep re-tying my hair, and my body feels sweaty. The people I'm working with are dope, and there are heaps of students playing the actual sports around the place as well, so no shortage of faces to meet and adventures to get up to no doubt. Richie has been down here for a few weeks now so I might link up with him on Wed and do something, and also my mate Michael is down here playing ping pong (OF ALL THINGS) and we said we'd do something one afternoon as well.

I think me and the girls I'm staying with are about to head out for some lunch after the early finish today. I can hear birds outside, although I'm not sure that they specifically remind me of nature as much as they just remind me of birds making noises. This place feels very nice, that's for certain, but there's also a white, bricky plastic-ness to the buildings set against a clear blue sky that is slightly disconcerting. Like, does it really look that nice? Is this scene being rendered by the GTA: Vice City engine? Is Ke$ha about to jump out from behind a palm tree and start sing-raping passers by? Who can tell really, anything could happen, it's only Monday.

Undecided. Eyes open. Ready to make something happen. Gold Coast, you're all right.

Peace, Taco.

No comments:

Post a Comment