Sunday, September 15, 2013

Feeling Aaite

Today feels very, very good. I just got back from the gym (groan, SHUTUP) and had music playing all the way to Aldi, where my phone died, but I kept cruising along to my own little rhythms. Maybe it's the endorphins from working out, but my world feels flooded with good vibes today.

I just had a MASSIVE brain wave concerning the start of my show '36 Hours'; so I never really know how to start a standup set anyway – as Louis CK says at the start of one of his specials it's such a strange thing to just walk out onto a stage and start talking to people – but that's what we do, and there has to be an organic way to start it, surely. What I've come up with as a way to start my show is this: I have picked six songs ('Turn the Page' by The Streets, 'Como Ves' by Ozomatli, 'Uplift' by Horrorshow, 'Go' by Illy, 'Not Tonite' by Embee, and 'My Favourite Clown' my Asaf Avidan and the Mojos), and before each show, as I sit on the stage and wait for people to come in so I can start the show, I'll roll a six-sided die, and depending on what number comes up, I'll play the one of the six songs assigned to that number. That way it'll be spontaneous for me too, although not completely spontaneous as the six songs I've chosen are all very familiar to me, but it'll give me somewhere to start and a reference point in real-time to refer to, rather than just launching into the narrative of my show. Breaking down the fourth wall is important, and establishing that the 'show' is a thing that is happening in REAL-TIME, and not just a rehearsed performance is important in drawing the audience into it as an event so that they feel more connected with the experience.

So I'm super excited about that (as an aside, I've been saying 'super-***' a lot lately, like 'super-excited' or 'super-high' or 'super-keen to not die today', but I just realized that while I really like the sound of it verbally, on paper it looks PRET-TY FUCKING GAY), also I'm excited just because tonight is my first show at the Situation Comedy Alternative Comedy Festival. This will be the first time I've performed my show, in any incarnation, from start to finish. Granted I doubt I'll have time to include half of the stuff – although I doubt that the amount of material I've written would stretch to fifty minutes at this point – there's still a fair bit that I'll have to leave out. I really have no idea how it's going to go or how the bits are going to play out or where the beats are going to sit in the grand scheme of the thirty-minute set. Fuck! FUCK! This is crazy, that this thing that I've been writing since late April is finally happening. God damn it, I'm excited.

I feel a little tired now, which is annoying, because I thought the high from my workout was going to last me through the afternoon so I could go over my show and write the structure of the thing as I plan to do it tonight out on a single page so that I could take that on stage with me as a reference, but I don't feel like that's going to be the case now. Maybe a little nap is in order, a little later on. For now though, I'm going to have a shower, which I'm super-looking forward to (nope, going to have to ban it) and probably later I'm going to go to the shaving store to buy some new blades, and also some shaving cream for sensitive skin, because I've just realized that that's the kind of skin that I have... did I tell you guys that? I don't think I did. I always cut myself shaving, I'm blaming the shaving cream for now, not the fact that I'm using a cut-throat razor that I have no idea how to use. I'm learning, okay? LEARNING. LEARNEDENING!!!

I can't believe there's no red line under that last word. OpenOffice must be sensing a distinct feeling of command in my aura today. DO NOT FUCK WITH ME, YOU OPEN SOURCE PLEB. I am better than you.

Peace, Taco.

No comments:

Post a Comment