Monday, August 26, 2013

A Great Gig

Waking up today took around three hours, it was one of those mornings when you drift in and out of sleep and lazy consciousness, waiting for the hour when, finally, you must rise. I had a long shower and am now sitting back at my computer, thinking about the business of the day: Rochester flyers, flyering, calls to make, maybe book a few more comics for spots and go for a walk to do some shopping... but first: chips.

I guess I'll talk about my set last night, considering I seem to be running out of steam on this post already, and we're only one-hundred words or so in. I got up at Situation Comedy and did one of the three 'headline' spots (I don't know if that's the right term? They are all around ten minutes, one after the other). I felt like I did pretty well, definitely during the first half of my set more so than the second half – towards the end I definitely let the energy of the room dip a couple times while I was rattling off a few tried and tested bits and I think that showed in the lower reaction to those bits. I felt myself go onto autopilot at one point before a string of three phrases that always get a laugh, and I never really recovered from my laziness there.

What did go well though were two things: first was my little chunk (maybe 3 minutes) about Politics vs Governance – the difference being that Governance is the actual substantive thing that defines how our society works and is structured, whereas Politics is the shitty soap opera or D Grade celebrities that parade around our tabloids pretending to have relevance in our lives. I parleyed that bit into a bit about the news being shit that I tried a couple weeks ago, and it seemed to work well after I got warmed up, sloppily introduced the concept, and then fumbled through the new words – definitely will do again.

Also what I was the most happy with last night were my improvisations. I turned to the couch to the right of stage and building on an observation I'd made to myself before coming on, I riffed on their similarity to the cast of 'Friends' in the coffee shop. Later on I, apropos of nothing, threw my sock at one of the girls on the couches. I was happiest with my general attitude towards them; I was giving them the most attention, as their position five out of the seven present legitimate audience members warranted, while still maintaining a position of power and authority over them, and making fun of their perceived importance. Even if they weren't claiming such importance, I felt like everyone else had been basically playing to them, and while I thought that might be somewhat necessary, I didn't want to grovel to them like I felt some of the other acts had been.

I probably got cocky around the seven minute thirty mark, when I looked at my phone and saw how much time I had left and the pronounced, “I'm having the best time.” But the fact that I was able to get to a point where I was completely inside the moment and doing what came into my head, even if it was only for a second, is something I don't think I've experienced before on stage, and so for that alone, I think last night was one of my best gigs yet. Another Spleen in two weeks, and I'm MCing the Comic's Lounge next week – basically an audition – time to polish up.

Peace, Taco.

No comments:

Post a Comment