Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Rant 005

Last week I found a site called IndieShuffle.com that has basically saved me a lot of time more than anything. It's a music site where the people running the site review new music coming out in a few genres – Hip Hop, House, Electro, Techno, Indie Rock, and maybe a few others I've forgotten – and then tag the songs with their relevant subgenres, so that when you pick a song out of their library to listen to, the site creates a dynamic playlist for you with songs it recommends. The authors of the site have basically taken the arduous trawling through blogs that I don't necessarily have time for, OUT of looking for music. Their library isn't that extensive, but I'm hoping it will grow, and it's already thrown up a few gems for me, so fuck it, I'm happy.

I'm also listening (as in currently, in progress – it's a serious task) to Four Tet's EIGHT HOUR mix for Rinse FM and so far it's pretty fucking great. The guy always starts off with some weird tribal shit or 'World Music' or whatever, and if I'm in the mood to just groove to something it can be a bit of a task to wade through, but once he gets going it's always worth the wait.

I really love music. My tastes have changed so much in the decade or so that I've been really listening to whatever music I like; from The Living End, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and The Offspring; through Slipknot, The Butterfly Effect, Il NiƱo; Nas, Big L, A Tribe Called Quest... all through that there was the Hilltop Hoods – until they got shit, but then again, so did the first three, to varyingly devastating extents. Then I started going clubbing, and listening to Noisy Techno and later on and up to now I listen to House and Disco. I've started listening more to genres though, more than specific artists, although I do have my favourites. Maybe that's a sign of me becoming lazier in my digging as comedy has started to take up more of my time.

And now we're on the topic: I've written two new bits today. One is about Asian food and chopsticks and includes the phrase, “you know everyone in your family hates you, right?” While the other is a story (an untrue contrivance, is probably more correct) about me shooting a napkin over the counter at Oporto and into the bin, with hilarity ensuing. I can feel that I've lately turned another corner in my joke writing and am now much more able to consciously steer a bit in the direction of the punchline. I feel less and less like I am just fumbling around in the dark.

Finally, every time I walk into my room after the window and door have been closed it smells a little heavy, like varnish. I only gave the floors one coat as I got lazy in the days before I moved out (replace 'lazy' with 'drunk'), so maybe that's it... maybe I didn't seal it in properly... or... something? I don't know how varnish works. That's man business. The first night I slept here though, I got a headache, which is definitely not the desired effect of sleep, and although I've not had a repeat of that situation in the week since, it's still a little worrying when the smell comes back in the day while I run my errands. Never mind. Cancer is still a good thirty years away guys, that's for Future Me to worry about.

Eugh. It's scary that I just wrote that.

Peace, Taco.

No comments:

Post a Comment