Thursday, October 10, 2013

Lists

It's an odd feeling to have thought of something that I think is funny but to still, after two years of getting on stage and trying to make people laugh, have absolutely no idea whether it's going to bomb or not until tonight. And that's on a good day, when I have a gig that night – and providing the gig is somewhere I am at liberty to try new material, rather than a place where I have to get up and do well to impress someone. Not even because I'm getting paid (yet (?) ) either, because on the rare occasions that I do get paid it's because I'm MCing, and when I MC I almost always try new material, or end up riffing most of the show anyway.

When I write something like what I post on my blog every day, I know pretty much as soon as it's done – or really about halfway through, because I know how something good is going to end before I write it – whether it's going to be good or not. This thing right now, probably a five out of ten.

I'm sitting in my new room-to-be upstairs at Station 59 right now having just bought $50 worth of shit to varnish the floors and wash the walls ready for painting tomorrow or Sunday. I'm moving in on Wednesday. The next month is looking like an exciting time in the Melbourne Saga, as I leave the unfettered chaos of Baker St for solo living here, and also Phil finally (touching wood) moves across from Adelaide. I'll txt him in a second to make sure he gave his notice at the Botanic last night. Scratch that, I txted him just then.

Shit I need to do in the next few months after I've moved into this place includes:
  • Go to Medicare and get a new Medicare card
  • Book appointments at the dentist, and a general check-up at the doctor
  • Meet with Rochester management about more weekly cash for the room, also need to speak with Gamze about her not running it with us anymore
  • Look in to medical testing, possible one in mid-November
  • Figure out plans for Christmas and buy tickets for planes/busses
  • Register for Edinburgh 2014, MICF season at Station 59, talk to Hugo about MICF season at Workers, pay all relevant cash for Edinburch, MICF, Adelaide Fringe to get up to date
  • Sort out internet for new place
  • Keep writing and polishing '36 Hours', figuring out new material to slot in as asides and getting it ready for the Fistival season in January
  • Buy new shoes and new laptop and convince myself that I'm allowed to take two weeks off of comedy and writing over Christmas to play GTA V if the PC port is out by then




Yep, that's the next few months. Tasks planned. I told you this post would be a five out of ten – CALLED IT! I'm pretty happy with those points though, I can probably tick a few of those off even next week.

Okay, as Richard the Stoner said to George Moutzouris at Coles Kurrulta Park in 2008 and then George later told me and we pissed ourselves about it because Richard was a mong and any story of him in discomfort was hilarious to us: “I gotta scrub the fucken walls man.”

Peace, Taco.

No comments:

Post a Comment