Sunday, January 26, 2014

Week 4 - Sort of Close to Homeless

So I lost my job, awesome. And no internet. Fine, sure. I've been going to the State Library a few times a week because they have free unlimited WiFi and I can't afford an internet cafe, also because last week it was HOT AS FUCK and the State Library has air con. For these same two reasons the State Library is also home to... wait no, that's mean... and the joke hasn't even been set up yet, so only I'm laughing at this point... but when I make the joke now you'll know what I was laughing at and you'll think I'm a piece of shit. Maybe I am? Maybe it's funny anyway... I've gone on too long now. The State Library is home to... there's a lot of homeless people in there.

No they don't live there, but they go there to use the WiFi and cool down. No I don't know how they have laptops. Yes you're right, maybe they are just guys with beards who smell bad.

Anyway.

On Tuesday I went in with my laptop and sat down at a table with three guys already sitting around it: a black guy, a hipster looking dude with glasses, and a man with a dishevelled beard who smelled of stale smoke. Smelled, a lot. The kind of smell that you don't even realize it's there until it creeps over to where you're sitting and you realize it's been a very real and present part of your life for the last fifteen minutes. You felt something undefinable nibbling at your conscience, was it that time you let down your housemate's tyres in 2010 because he stole your copy of Futurama Season 1 on DVD? No no! It's just the man next to you, dreadfully in need of a shower and a change of lifestyle.

I exchanged furtive glances with the black guy who was sitting directly to my right, and we both made “I-hate-this” eye movements at the bearded source of smell sitting to my left, but nothing could be done. This is a library. He got up to have another cigarette – this was after about forty-five minutes, thirty of which I spent with my shirt pulled up covering my nose. I didn't even realize I was doing it until it slipped back down and I was hit with another wave. As he rounded the corner out of the main room of the library and headed outside and out of sight, I calmly reached down into my bag, pulled out a can of deodorant (Rexona Original for the sporty hobo) and liberally sprayed Beardy's chair, much to the delight of my two table-buddies. Black guy even took off his headphones to share an amused chuckle with me – that was really interesting too actually, we weren't talking to each other at all, or communicating by sound, but the simple act of him taking out his headphones told me that he wanted to share in the joy of this moment with me. The shared recognition that yes, indeed, that guy smells like butts. (PUN!)

They are a scary breed, the homeless. The smelly, rotten rejects of our burgeoning metropolis, spat out by the system and left to sleep amongst the filth – I, as a human, find them distasteful. Is that too much? A little heavy on the ole “anti-poor people” rhetoric there? A little mean? Distasteful itself? “OF COURSE IT IS YOU PRIVILEGED BOURGEOIS FUCK!” I scream at myself, while ashamedly feeling my body recoil from the reeking smells of poverty.

It's easy – especially, I feel, for me – to forget that a person – some guy – sitting at a table in the library getting angry at his computer because, “I didn't WANT to watch the next video I WANTED TO STAY ON THE LAST ONE FUCKKK!” is not so different from me. It would do me well to remember that on any day I am only a handful of bad decisions or unlucky rolls of the dice away from homelessness, and then it'd be me sitting in that chair, wondering why the air around me suddenly smells like aerosol deodorant. I only went outside for a minute...?

The next day at the library I was sitting at a similar table, similar situation, only this time the bearded man (a different one) was sitting to my left. He didn't smell, but he was doing a good job of freaking people out as he beat his index finger down repeatedly on the mouse button on his laptop. He just kept hitting it, and hitting it... the table was actually shaking, but he wouldn't stop. I looked over at him with raised eyebrows as if to say, “really dude?” and he stared back at me for a frozen second before returning to his frenzied assault on technology. Giving his machine a solid beat-down. Aggressive!

I was re-writing my resume and applying for temping agencies because, as I've been trying to forget the entire time I've been writing this, I am unemployed. The library internet was working fine for me, and so I was in a good mood – a good enough mood to find some humour in the dishevelled plight of the man to my left. But what if my internet wasn't working? And what if my situation were even one degree more dire? Like if I wasn't able to borrow money from parents or friends to make up the three weeks of limbo between my last paycheck and my first Centrelink payment? What if I was behind on rent already? What if I had gotten sick that week? Or had been unluckily mugged? Had a big phone bill? What if my job was even slightly more important to me? What if I had lost something I actually cared about as anything other than a source of income?

Only one bad decision away. Only one unlucky roll of the dice. I could so easily be that guy, sitting at the desk with people around casting surreptitious glances across the room at me, the crazy man, beating at his computer with pointed fingers. The internet not working. The resumes I want to send, trapped. No hope.

I didn't stop laughing – to myself at least – because a guy getting publicly angry is still funny, I don't care what anyone says. But my laughter was tempered with cautious self-examination as I imagined a scene where I too might crack under life's pressure while being watched by tens of sniggering idiots. Because the others, looking on, ignorant of the whole situation, are always idiots. And I, the insane, furious, raging hero, am always, always right.

Do I smell? I need to wash my clothes tomorrow.

Peace, Taco.

No comments:

Post a Comment