Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A Morning Failure

I just got back from leaving the house for no reason... okay, there was a reason initially, but much the same as has happened on multiple occasions in the last month or so, that reason quickly evaporated upon my arrival at its supposed source. Ooooh, look at that! I managed to keep that introduction pretty general, ey? Pat on the back for me.

I was supposed to have a tour this morning, but no one showed up. That's pretty much what I was trying to say. I got up at 9:20am and ate breakfast, had a SUISSE ULTIVITE ™ and was out the door by 9:55am. I had The Herd's 'The Sun Never Sets' in my ears, more specifically, 'Effortless feat. Braintax'; Urthboy's verses on that track are, as always, PHENOMENAL. As I power-walked up to Fed Sq I saw that it was unusually empty considering the nice weather – fuck me I'm sick of making excuses to tourists for why there is no one there. “Oh it's just the off-season.” “It's a bit foggy today, maybe people thought it was going to rain?” “Master Chef ran 10 minutes long last night, people are probably still tired after having their schedule thrown out.”

Ugh.

But when I got into the square I was feeling good, and today I wasn't much up to having a tour anyway, so I was grooving along to my tunes, both earphones in, dancing in the beam of sunlight that is reflected off of the gold plate on the Eureka tower. Two old ladies looked lost so I asked them what they were looking for and directed them to the lower entrance of the ACMI – they were going to the costume exhibition. Another lady looked lost and asked if I was the guide for the 11am tour – I'm not, that's the Fed Sq tour. I told her that normally I'd conscript her into my tour which starts at 10:30am, but it wasn't looking like we were going to have one today. She asked if my tour was the same as I'm Free... I breathed a dejected sigh, and said, “yes”. She had been in bed with the competition, and walked away with a figurative post-coital glow shimmering over her head.


A bunch of school kids walked past... actually it was probably more than a bunch, how many is a bunch? There were about fifty of them, maybe sixteen or seventeen years old? I was dancing, and while I didn't make eye contact with any of the vermin, I continued dancing while they walked past not metres from me. I was pretty proud of that. Don't break stride son, no one is around, no one is looking, this is your world.

At 9:36am I packed it in and walked back to the tram to go home, the morning a technical failure, but an emotional victory. I didn't really want to give the tour anyway... If business doesn't pick up in the next few months I'm definitely quitting and doing a bunch of medical tests in Adelaide before Christmas. Fuck yeah, stick your needles in me, but leave my asshole alone.

Peace, Taco.

No comments:

Post a Comment